Staying Screen Free: Drawing Activity Box
If you've got a little artist on your hands, then this activity box won't fail to impress. A selection of drawing-based activities using different types of markers is so cheap and easy to prepare. Here at Creative QT we love seeing a child's imagination transpire onto paper!
- Plastic box (Michael's, $1)
- Selection of marker pens, crayons or colouring pencils (we used Crayola markers and some fun 'sniff markers')
- White A4 card cut into four
- Sticker scenes (a few stickers on small pieces of white card, we used vehicle stickers from Michael's, $1)
- Funny faces (black border drawn on white card, facial feature stickers from Michael's, $1)
- Animal flashcards (Target, $1)
Many parents take along crayons, paper and stickers when going out and about. It is such an easy way to keep little hands and minds occupied so that parents can catch a break and eat their meal in relative peace. Making a fun drawing activity box takes no time at all and just adds that little bit of extra excitement.
We tested our drawing activity box out on this little guy...... it was a huge hit!!
Here's a few tips for making a successful drawing activity box:
1. Add something new to explore (in this case the 'sniff markers' had a huge novelty factor, and inspired some great sensory exploration).
2. Provide drawing prompts (help to get the child's imagination inspired by providing a drawing prompt, for example we added sticker scenes and funny faces to draw on).
3. Challenge your child to go outside of their drawing comfort zone (we attempted this by including some animal flashcards).
4. Parents should always get involved too (make sure you join in the fun and Make Time Together, nothing inspires a child more than their parents).
See how easy it is to achieve screen free time when on family outings?! An activity box like this can be used many times. Simple additions of new materials or swapping old ones, can breathe new life into the drawing challenges.
Creative QT designs quality + innovative toys that declutter homes and inspire creative play. Founded by parents of five, Adam and Dana Sue Hinkle, Creative QT’s vision is to empower parents and encourage a culture of families that Make Time Together. All products are designed to enrich families’ lives through active, creative play and play based learning. Creative QT products are laboratory tested for compliance with CPSC requirements and are free of lead, cadmium and phthalates so you can play with confidence. So, go ahead … today is the day: be your kid’s hero.
"LEGO®is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site."